I was browsing the Dollar Tree looking for Halloween decorations when I came across a small carvable pumpkin. It was bright orange and very very fake looking. But it had a lot of potential.
I was buying items to decorate my fireplace mantel, and wasn't sure how much I needed to fill the space or what all I wanted on it. There wasn't enough room on the mantel when I was done decorating it, so I decided to turn this little pumpkin into a centerpiece.
I thought the pumpkin would make a great base for a decoupage project. I picked up some white glue and tissue paper when I was at the Dollar Tree, too. There were some fake autumn leaves left from decorating my mantel, too, so I set those aside to use on this project. Altogether, the supplies (pumpkin, tissue paper, glue, leaves) cost $4-$5 dollars - but since I used the materials in other projects or had plenty left over (like the tissue paper and glue) the actual cost of the finished pumpkin is much cheaper than that.
The dollar store pumpkin is quite small (you can see it sitting on an old magazine) but I think that makes it more versatile - I'm not limited to setting it on my dining room table, since it can fit on my coffee table or mantel. I actually plan to move it to the mantel once I pack away my Halloween decorations, since this craft works for Thanksgiving too. This craft could easily be made using a larger fake pumpkin. Mod-Podge would also work for this project.
White glue or Mod-Podge
Autumn silk leaves
I began by watering down my white glue. I actually did this using some really strong tea, thinking it would impart an antique-y brown color to the glue, but that didn't really work...
I used the thin glue-water mixture to decoupage torn pieces of tissue paper onto the pumpkin.
It took a while to dry, but I put the glue on kind of thick...
Once it had dried, I was able to see how the tea didn't work at all... in fact, now the pumpkin looked like a peeled orange!
I thinned some brown acrylic paint and brushed it all over the pumpkin, wiping off the excess. This dulled the white tissue/glue and bright orange color. When the first coat had dried, I went over the spots that still looked very bright with the brown paint, and wiped it off while it was still wet. Some of the thicker areas of tissue still looked a little gray, but I like the texture it gave the pumpkin, since some real pumpkins get those gray scars on them... if you know what I'm talking about...
|#NoFilter - this is what it looks like at night in artificial light|
Once the brown was dry and I was happy with the color and variation, I glued the autumn leaves to the bottom of the pumpkin with my hot glue gun.
|Daylight through the windows makes it look lighter.|
I really like how it looks different depending on the light.
And that's it! Very easy, very affordable!