Friday, February 3, 2017

#5FandomFriday: My TBR Pile

Wow you guys - somehow I completely lost track of Five Fandom Fridays! Other than the Harry Potter month last summer I honestly didn't realize there were new prompts, probably because I slacked off on blog reading last year.

Anyway, I saw Megan's post this morning... right after pondering my TBR list on Bookreads and my yearly goal of 35 free-read books. It was serendipitous. As a PhD student I read A LOT, but I really don't read many things for the sheer enjoyment of reading unless I'm making an effort to.

I prefer reading in the evenings and before bed. I like fantasy and historical fiction the best, along with sci-fi and non-fiction history. When and what do you like to read?

Currently in my looooooong TBR pile...

1. Surrender the Pink, Carrie Fisher
I've seen the movie "Postcards From the Edge" based on Carrie's book, but I've only ever read her memoirs. Reading/re-reading Carrie's books has been part of my grieving process, and seeing as how Amazon was sold out of many of her books last month, I'm definitely not alone in that.

Having never read her fiction I selected "Surrender the Pink" because the plot of a woman "find[ing] it hard to relinquish the 'pink' fantasy that a man will indeed secure her happiness ever after"  (Publisher's Weekly, 1990) intrigued me. I think many of us go through something similar... realizing that the rose-colored, Disney-esque fantasy of happily ever after doesn't come with marriage, and life is continually working at everything, relationships and all. And I know Carrie will put a wonderful humorous spin on that.

2. New Star Wars canon, various authors, published by Del Rey and Disney
I've read a few of the new Star Wars books, but now that I own many of them I want to read through them in chronological order. My reading order is: Dark Disciple, Ahsoka, Tarkin, A New Dawn, Moving Target, Lost Stars, the Aftermath Trilogy, and Bloodline.

3. A Court of Wings and Ruin, Sarah J. Maas
This book won't be published until May, but I really can't wait to read it. Seriously - my memory keeps tricking me into thinking it's going to be published next month! This is the third book in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. I found ACOTAR on my Kindle last summer (I buy ebooks when they're on sale and then forget about them) and proceeded to DEVOUR it while on a road trip to Canada. As soon as I arrived home I ordered physical copies of ACOTAR and its sequel, A Court of Mist and Fury.

These books are... delicious. A perfect combination of fantasy and adventure, with plenty of elements inspired by classic fairy tales and Celtic folklore. While I was reading ACOTAR I felt like this was exactly the series I've been craving my whole life.


4. The Girl Who Drank the Moon, Kelly Barnhill
My local library actually picked this one up after I suggested it. *smug smile* I can't afford to buy every book I want to read right now, so I love accessing my library's collection in both physical and ebook formats.

This book is a fantasy about a young girl with magic powers who is raised by a witch, and one day must defend her home. It sounds like an adventurous exploration of identity and coming of age.

5. The Family Plot, Cherie Priest
A new take on classic haunted house horror, this book is right up my alley (I have enjoyed Cherie Priest's Boneshaker and Maplecroft books, and a year ago I spent October reading spooky stories). I wanted to read this one last October, but never got to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment