Monday, January 23, 2017

Cooking in Azeroth: an Introduction

For Christmas I received a copy of "World of Warcraft, The Official Cookbook" by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel. We saw it in person at the Insight Editions booth during NYCC 2016 and it looked really fun, filled with recipes inspired by the Cooking profession in World of Warcraft.

As soon as I unwrapped the book I decided... I'm going to "Julie & Julia" this thing and cook every recipe in it!




I had thought calling this new blog series "Katie & Kil'jaeden" or "Katie & Kael'thas" would be funny. I even found a Cooking Trainer NPC named Katherine Lee, but I was pretty sure no one would get the joke if I called it "Katie & Katherine."

Instead, I welcome you to Cooking in Azeroth!



This series will run weekly on Thursdays, with 1-4 recipes from the book featured in each post. There are 100 individual recipes included in the cookbook, and I will cook all of them before the year is over. The book is divided into sections for Appetizers, Breads, Soups, Entrees, Desserts, and Beverages. All of the recipes are inspired by foods found throughout the game, either through the Cooking profession or bought from a vendor. The images included with the recipes are delightful, resembling the game art used for each dish.

Throughout the book are other references to the game, such as mentioning the NPCs who sell or teach a recipe, or describing harder recipes as requiring a Master-level Cooking Skill (as opposed to an Apprentice-level skill). There is even a section about the importance of feasting in Azeroth, with suggestions for holiday-themed recipe combinations.

I'm looking forward to learning these new recipes and level up my Cooking Skill! Each blog post will include photos, cost and sourcing information for ingredients, and calorie information. I will not post the actual recipes or step-by-step instructions, but will offer tips and tricks if I come across anything that I feel needs explained.

The first Cooking in Azeroth post will publish this Thursday and will feature Dragonbreath Chili, Cornmeal Biscuits, and Chocolate Celebration Cake! Please come back on Thursday to see how it all turns out!

***

The "World of Warcraft" cookbook retails for $35, though it can be found for a discount on Amazon. The author, Chelsea Monroe-Cassel, has also written "A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook."

No comments:

Post a Comment