Friday, October 28, 2016

Happy Halloweekend!

It's the weekend before Halloween, and as far as I'm concerned the holiday has already started!

Halloween is my favorite holiday - I like to eat seasonal foods and light candles. I place a jack-o-lantern in my window to scare away the bad spirits. And I always watch scary movies, read ghost stories, and listen to my Halloween playlist!

Last year I shared a list of spooky stories, and I wanted to do something similar for this Halloween. If you're in need of a spooky movie or books to get in the Halloween spirit, I have some suggestions!


What We Do in the Shadows,
directed by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi

This movie is hilarious. It's done in a mockumentary style and documents the un-lives of vampire roommates in New Zealand as they hold flat meetings (just do the dishes, Deacon!), learn 21st century technology, and other #justvampirethings.




The Penguin Book of the Undead
edited by Scott G. Bruce

A 2016 publication by Penguin Classics, this book compiles legends and histories of the undead in Europe from the ancient world to the modern age. The beginning of each chapter provides a few paragraphs of context, identifying that passage's author and explaining the supernatural lore of the time period or region in which it was recorded.

This book is great for people who like their spooky stories grounded in history or want to explore how stories of the undead changed over time.


Coffin Hill
by Caitlin Kittredge

Strange things have been happening in the small town of Coffin Hill, Massachusetts. Murders. Missing children. When Eve Coffin, the descendent of the local witch Emma Coffin, returns to town these events remind her of a fateful Halloween night and the haunted woods that surrounds her family estate. She is drawn into the investigation, and her family history means she is the only one who can find out the real cause of these strange and deadly events.

Coffin Hill is a comic series written by Caitlin Kittredge and illustrated by Inaki Miranda. It was published by Vertigo between 2013 and 2015, and there are three trade paperback volumes in the series. I first learned about Coffin Hill when it was recommended to me by an employee at a small comic shop in Ohio, and so far I have read the first two volumes. I will probably read the third on Halloween this year.

This series is spooky and sometimes violent, full of secrets and hidden motives. I really enjoyed the first two volumes, they definitely scratched my itch for danger and witchiness.


Crimson Peak,
directed by Guillermo del Toro

This movie was released last year and quickly became one of my favorites. It is a gothic horror film, combining romance and suspense to tell the story of Edith Cushing, a young American woman who is wooed by an English baronet named Thomas Sharpe. They are quickly wed and move to his family home in the north of England, where Edith is drawn into the dark mysteries that haunt the manor.

This movie is also visually beautiful; the use of color and texture in the sets and costumes, the creation of motifs, every detail helps set the scene and build the characters. I only wish the movie was longer, giving Edith more time to explore the secrets of Allerdale Hall and the Sharpe siblings.



Those are a few of the stories I've been enjoying this month. Do you have any new spooky favorites to share?

Thanks for reading and have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great choices! I just bought that penguin book even though the cover creeps me out so much! I don't know if you've read her, but Emily Carroll writes amazing little horror comics. She has a few online, but she also has a book called Into the Woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover creeps me out too - did you see the animated one? So scary!

      Thank you for the recommendations! I haven't read Emily Carroll's work yet, but that collection of comics looks like it's right up my alley!

      Delete