Friday, June 10, 2016

#Fandom5: Five Fandoms I Just Couldn't Get Into... (June 10th, 2016)

Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a great week. I've really missed blogging lately, and thought what better way to ease back into it than with 5 Fandom Friday?

#Fandom5, or 5 Fandom Friday is a weekly blog link-up and the creation of Kristin at Super Space Chick and Megan at The Nerdy Girlie.  It's a lot of fun and a great way to find new blogs! Go here to learn more about it or follow #Fandom5 on Twitter!

This week's topic is five fandoms I couldn't get into. What are those comics or shows or books that you encountered, maybe even tried to enjoy, but ultimately decided wasn't for you?


1. Supernatural

When I tried watching it on Netflix I just wasn't in the mood for yet another "monster of the week" style program. I got halfway through season one and couldn't be bothered to pick it back up - not because I didn't like it, but because I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure I would like it if I gave it another chance - maybe I'll try again this summer!


2. Star Trek

I really liked the episodes I've watched (Trouble with Tribbles is the best) and I think I've seen almost all of the movies (Original movie, Khan, Search for Spock, that one with the whales, the two new ones), but Star Trek has never been something I fan-girled over. I think if my early exposure to the series had been different I would have loved it - the exploration, the science, the interactions with different cultures... 


3. DC TV

We tried watching Green Arrow, the Flash, and Gotham, but ultimately we got a few weeks behind on the DVR and just didn't care enough to bother catching up. 

The only exception is Supergirl, because I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I think we had too many DVR conflicts (yay Time-Warner...) so I am waiting to watch it on Netflix.


4. Twilight

I tried. I just can't get into this one. 

(btw if you like Twilight then I think you might like the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, because the story is pretty much Twilight + Outlander: vampires and "destined" loved and witches and time travel)


5. LARPing

I had a friend in college who was a member of a local fantasy LARP group. I'm pretty sure her character was an elf... anyway, she wanted me to join and it seemed kind of fun, with the costumes and chance to "fight" in battles.  BUT... I had participated in live-steel reenactment while studying abroad* and I guess I'm a bit of a snob because the thought of fighting with foam weapons just did not appeal.



This post was much harder to write than I was expecting. I'm lucky that almost everything I am introduced to is shared with me by other fans, people who are willing to share their excitement, which in turn makes me excited.


* This October is the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings and I reeeeeeeally want to go! I'm not sure if my friends still participate in it, or where I would get the money to travel to England... but I would love to go see this, especially on a big anniversary year.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should definitely try Supernatural again bc it sounds like you just weren't in the mood. S1 is very monster-of-the-week but gets A LOT more bigger story-based as the season winds down. I think S2 is still my favorite - and you could honestly stop at S5 (where the creator originally intended the series to end). Just get recs for post S5 episodes worth watching (there are a few, like SPN's 200th episode. That one is AMAZING.)

    Of all the DC TV, my favorite on is The Flash - but I agree with you. Something about S1 kept me from completely hooking me until about the halfway point. Now it's my favorite of all the DC TV shows. :)

    My fandom thing I couldn't get into is... Firefly. I just. Space. :/ (Also why Star Trek has never super-appealed to me, though I do love Battlestar Galactica...)

    ReplyDelete