Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year 2016

I hope everyone had a fun and safe New Year's Eve last night! We stayed in, ate some finger foods and watched Ex Machina on Amazon Prime streaming. Tomorrow we have plans to play a marathon session of D&D with friends. All-in-all a very low-key New Year for us.

I don't put much stock into the New Year and resolutions - autumn has always felt more like a time for new beginnings to me, and the cold and dark of winter kill any motivation I have. But there are some things I definitely need to accomplish, and I need to start now. I just feel very lost and unfulfilled, like I'm floating along without much direction and have no support system to help deal with it.

I haven't made New Year's resolutions in years, but two major things I will accomplish before the next turn around the sun are...

Complete C25K
I have started C25K a few times over the years, usually making it to week 3 or 4 - but then something happens with my schedule, or depression hits, or the weather changes and ice makes it too slippery to run outside, or I have a looming deadline, and suddenly making the time is too difficult. Whenever I get overwhelmed the first thing to go is my diet and exercise.

This time I am pushing through to finish all 8 weeks. I want to run the Disney Star Wars half-marathon someday (next year?), I want to be stronger and fitter, I want to know that in 10 or 20 years I'm not going to have weight-related health problems that could have been avoided - and if I want these things, then I better quit thinking about it and start making them a reality.


Finish my dissertation
I am sick of being a graduate student, feeling like I'm waiting for "real life" to start, fearing what is going to happen after grad school (what am I even going to do with this degree???), and fielding questions from relatives who have no genuine interest in my work beyond "When are you going to finish?"

I am going to finish my dissertation for a spring 2017 defense date so I can move away and move on with my life. Find a job that pays a livable wage. Just get on with life.


Do or do not, there is no try. And I am choosing to do.



4 comments:

  1. I hope you have an awesome new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope 2016 is awesome for you too!

      Delete
  2. I'm running the 5K in two weeks and I started the C25K so freaking late but you know what, my fault but I'm still doing the marathon!!

    So good luck to you and maybe one day we can run the marathon together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and good luck to you! I hope we can meet up for a Disney run someday! Looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing photos - are you planning to dress up for it?

      Delete