Friday, September 18, 2015

#Fandom5: Five Things I Love About Autumn! Sept. 18, 2015

Happy Friday everyone, and a Happy (early) International Talk Like a Pirate Day! (it's tomorrow, ye scurvy dogs!)

#Fandom5, or 5 Fandom Friday is a weekly blog link-up and the creation of Kristin at Super Space Chick and Megan at The Nerdy Girlie.  It's a lot of fun and a great way to find new blogs! Go here to learn more about it or follow #Fandom5 on Twitter!

Today's 5 Fandom Friday topic is: Five Things I Love About Autumn! 

Autumn is my favorite season! There's just something about the air, the crisp mornings, the dark, deep night sky. It's easy to rattle off a long list of everything I enjoy about autumn... because I love practically everything about this season!


1. Seasonal foods
Hearty, well-seasoned, and colorful. Rich stews, meat pies, baked squash, pumpkin spice, apple cider - I love them all! I like to make cottage pie, pasties, onion soup, beef stew, and apple pastries. I'm already planning my Halloween feast - roasted pork tenderloin with cider sauce, mashed butternut squash, potatoes, and green beans or sprouts!

OutlanderKitchen.com

2. Cool-weather clothes
I finally found a pair of knee-high boots that fit my calves, and I've been waiting for 2 months for the weather to cool so I can wear them! I also love wearing sweaters and scarves, and layering tights and skirts.
(images via Torrid.com)




3. The changing landscape
I love the cooling weather, crisp mornings, and autumn rains. And I love the changing leaves. I live in upstate New York, and in my part of the region we usually get our best leaves in early to mid-October.

nyfallfoliage.com

4. Spooky and supernatural
On All Hallow's Eve, or Samhain, the veil to the afterlife is brushed aside and the spirits of the dead roam the earth. That is the foundation for many Euro-American harvest and Halloween traditions, as the night's grow longer, the sun dies, and we wait for its rebirth on the winter solstice. It's not hard to understand why our ancestors developed these sorts of beliefs if you've ever taken a late autumn walk through the forest or under the night sky.

Via http://pumpkinrot.com/pages/Page45.html
Ever since I was a little kid, I've loved spooky stories and learning about the history of witches and supernatural beliefs. I think part of me has always wanted to live in the woods like a witch... and Halloween is my most favorite holiday!




5. Playing in the leaves with Stormageddon!
Stormie loves chasing leaves, whether they're being blown around by a breeze, or kicked up by me! Then we come inside and snuggle, and he smells like the outside.



5 comments:

  1. Hehe I'm super excited to play in all the leaves with my dog to xoxo

    Cateaclysmic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma's dog liked to eat the windfalls in her "orchard" (she's had 3-4 apple trees for as long as I can remember) - does The Russ Pup like to eat apples?

      Delete
  2. I grew up in Upstate New York and miss the leaves changing on the hills every year now that I'm in NYC. Nothing like leaf-peeping upstate! So jealous of you (and the puppy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only lived here a few years, but I really need to take advantage of the fall activities while I can!

      Delete
  3. Fall fashion!!! I love it!! I hate summer fashion but only because San Francisco rarely gets summer but for some reason this year IT'S STILL GOING!

    And yay for Supernatural/spooky season!!

    ReplyDelete