Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Tabletop Tuesday! Summer recap, summer plans...


Hello! I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Not much to report for this week's Tabletop Tuesday. I had planned to take last week off following SDCC, but that week has apparently turned into two! So today's post is just a brief update on what I've been doing and what I have planned for the rest of the summer.

My regular weekly Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) group has evolved to become a Star Wars tabletop rpg group. A few of us have started meeting up an additional night each week to play Fantasy Flight's Star Wars rpg. So far this game has been fun to learn - this tabletop rpg uses a different dice system than D&D's d20 system, and character creation/stats are different. And I'm a fan of anything Star Wars. My character is a smuggler form Corellia (of course). I do have some complaints about this system and how our particular game is being run, but overall I like this Star Wars rpg.



I'm planning to write a post about this game soon, but this experience has also made me think about my role as the lone female member of this tabletop group, how I don't always speak up when I probably should, and how I'm starting to dislike this additional evening because I often feel like one night a week is plenty with this particular group of individuals. A few things I've been asking myself include: what do I want from a tabletop gaming group, what kind of GM (Game Master) do I want running the games I participate in, and how do I improve my gaming experience overall?

There are currently three D&D groups running on Wednesdays at the comic shop, with the group I play in being the most recent. As much as I enjoy Wednesday nights - we've made some friends, the group uses miniatures and maps to plot out combat and movement (which is cool and useful!), and I love playing my sorceress character - I enjoy my sporadic, weekend group a lot more, for a variety of reasons.

My game's DM (Dungeon Master) doesn't follow Adventurers League rules, award XP/downtime days/reputation (he just tells us when to level), or tell new potential players the group is full. As a result this group's attendance is inconsistent, ranging anywhere from 6 to 13 players between levels 1 and 4 each week. 13 players is a huge rpg group; combat is slow, roleplaying is almost nonexistent, and time is wasted as we deliberate what our next move should be. When we first tried to join a group at the store in March, we were told all of the groups were full but that a new story was starting in April and they would contact us - so I'm struggling to see why my DM can't follow that model and try to keep things moving for those of us who have been playing for the last 2 months. Introducing the new players eats up 30-60 minutes of play time, as the DM helps them make characters, while the experienced players are left sitting around with nothing to do - and then half the time they don't come back.

The dice are players without minis and the bad guys. There were a lot of bad guys in this fight.

Luckily my favorite DM, who runs another group on Wednesdays and our weekend group, has some ideas planned to fix these problems - one thing he plans to do is have everyone among the three groups fill out a questionnaire about their play style and what they want from a group or DM, and then remodel the three groups so everyone is happier. A fourth DM will be starting a game in August, too, so that should result in smaller, more compatible D&D groups.

And that's what I've been up to recently, as far as tabletop gaming. Playing rpgs 2-3 times a week, learning a new game/system, and wondering how to improve my time spent gaming now that I have been playing D&D consistently for four months. This hasn't left much time for new board games, but I have a stack that needs played, so it WILL happen!

I have some fun things planned for Tabletop Tuesday: in the next few months I'll review a few new board games we picked up, and I'm planning on having a Miniatures Month, where each week I review a new miniatures game! Then, in the fall, I have a month of zombie-themed games planned to celebrate Halloween!

Now, a few questions for you! Who do you like gaming with and why? Do any of you play tabletop rpgs? Are there any game recommendations or requests for us?

As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, please leave them in the comments! Until next week, GAME ON!

2 comments:

  1. I play board games with the same group of friends because we know we will have loads of fun. I haven't really played much RPGs but does Zombiecide count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never played that one before and thought it was a board game, but at a glance it looks like some people do play it like an RPG by role playing their character, telling a story, or changing the game mechanics to be closer to the RPG systems they're familiar with. Which sounds so cool!

      You're lucky to have a group of friends that play games. All of mine slowly moved away, though I'm making friends in my tabletop groups!

      Delete