Wednesday, July 29, 2015

#PotterWeek: Ravenclaw Pride

The internet is celebrating Harry Potter Week, and there are Tweets and blog posts galore, celebrating our favorite boy wizard and that amazing world he lives in. Check out the Common Room if you're interested in reading some thoughtful posts about Harry Potter, the books, and being a fan.

Reading Kristin's post on being a Ravenclaw reminded me of my first exposure to the Harry Potter books, and I thought I'd share that story here. Ravenclaw has always been my Hogwarts house, and every quiz/sorting exercise I've participated in has placed me there - including Pottermore (when I stayed up until 4am to get a beta invite!)

When I was in high school, my mom sent me to the local independent bookstore to pick up my sister's preorder copy of Goblet of Fire. They had some goodies left from a small release party, and had me draw a sticker out of a hat - I hadn't read the books yet and had no idea what was going on, but I ended up with a Ravenclaw sticker. It was shaped like a pennant flag, and I offered it to my sister, but she told me to keep it. This sparked my interest in the books, and she told me about the first three, their plots, and the world. I thought the series sounded interesting and added them to my mental TBR list.

The next day my family went on a road trip, and for lack of anything better to do I started reading the Harry Potter books. Then I understood why they had me pull the sticker out of a hat, and I was so pleased it was Ravenclaw! And, of course, I became addicted to the books - during that trip, I read books 1-3 and started book 4.

My sister never read much beyond Prisoner of Azkaban, but I devoured all of the books and attended that bookstore's midnight release parties from then on... wearing a Ravenclaw costume! I still have that sticker too! Harry Potter helped me make new friends when I started college, and the book and movie releases were something to look forward to - and attend with my new friends! I miss the excitement of waiting for a new book, but I keep my collection in a place of honor on my bookshelf. It's been a few years since I've read any of the books, but it's a comfort to know they are all right there, waiting for me to return to Hogwarts if I want to.

Happy Potter Week! And an early happy birthday to JK Rowling and the Boy Who Lived!



3 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post! I came to Harry Potter as part of an after-school assignment, and boy, did I resent having to go get the book and read it for class. But of course, I ended up loving it. I didn't get hooked until I read the 2nd and 3rd books, which I binge-read over a few days.

    Ravenclaw has always been my House too, but I didn't have such a serendipitous discovery of it! It's like the Universe was telling you to read the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute photo! I also only got into the books after the first couple were out. Do you have a favorite book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That pic was taken at the Deathly Hallows midnight release party in my hometown. The local independent bookstore got the entire downtown involved. Businesses were decorated and selling themed food and drinks, there were games and activities, a Quidditch tournament, and the whole of Main Street was one big party!

      Prisoner of Azkaban has always been my favorite - I really like the introduction of the Marauders, the mystery surrounding Lupin, and the whole reveal in the Shrieking Shack with Wormtail and Sirius. Do you have a favorite?

      Delete