Friday, June 26, 2015

#Fandom5: Fandom Guilty Pleasures, June 26th, 2015

Happy weekend! It's Friday, which means it's time for another Five Fandom Friday!

#Fandom5, or 5 Fandom Friday is a weekly blog link-up and the creation of Kristin at Super Space Chick and Megan at The Nerdy Girlie.  It's a lot of fun and a great way to find new blogs! Go here to learn more about it or follow #Fandom5 on Twitter!

This week's topic is: Fandom guilty pleasures!

I'm actually struggling to write this post. I'm a pretty private person, and while very few people are aware of how geeky I can be, I don't have many guilty pleasures. There are certain social and professional situations where I don't advertise that I make cosplay costumes and go to conventions and have a comic pull list and meet up with a group 1-2 times a week to play D&D... but if those people found out, I wouldn't be embarrassed. I don't know what it is, but I am very comfortable in my geekery - and I am happier since I embraced myself as a person who enjoys playing games and getting uncontrollably excited about movies and comics. This comfort with myself and what I like to do, expectations be damned, has only appeared in the last couple of years, and I credit this blog, the Twitter/blogger community I'm part of, and SDCC for having a hand in that.

What are your guilty pleasures? I'm very curious to see where there's overlap among people's posts.


1. Grey's Anatomy
I've seen the whole series several times (daily reruns, Lifetime is an horrible enabler). I have no idea why I keep watching it - it's not that good! And I hate most of the characters! It's campy and stupid and gets more unrealistic with each episode. I've even charted out a timeline of events - this crazy show, everything in the first 2.5 seasons takes place in a single year! That means Izzie was jilted by Karev, fell in love with Denny, Denny died, and then she hooked up with George, destroying his marriage, all in less than a year! How freaking unrealistic is that? How meaningful could any of those relationships have been?

The Boyfriend calls it "Disaster Hospital 9000" which is a much more accurate title. But I watch it, and I love it, and it's great background noise while I work on my dissertation.



2. Fan fiction
I don't post it anywhere, but yes, I have written Asgard fan fiction. And Star Wars fan fiction. And Indiana Jones fan fiction.


3. My super secret Pinterest board
I have a super secret Pinterest board. It has over 1000 images. This board will never be made public. No one knows about this board... until now. The topic: a super yummy British actor. You can probably guess who it is. Go on, guess.


That's... pretty much it.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I love No. 3. I became almost instant friends with my cousin's co-worker (at the time) because we bonded over our fangirl love for Tom Hiddleston. We had a secret board and everything, and as you have said IT WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to write fan fiction years ago. And it was about Hanson. LOL

    ReplyDelete