Friday, May 15, 2015

#Fandom5: Five Most Binge-Worthy Shows, May 15th, 2015

#Fandom5, or 5 Fandom Friday is a weekly blog link-up and the creation of Kristin at Super Space Chick and Megan at The Nerdy Girlie.  It's a lot of fun and a great way to find new blogs! Go here to learn more about it or follow #Fandom5 on Twitter!

This week's topic is five binge-worthy shows. I've only included shows that I've actually binge-watched it, and almost every episode was followed by The Boyfriend or I begging for suggesting, "One more?" Or in some cases, threatening to watch it without the other! The kind of show where you bitterly click "Yes" to Netflix's question, "Are you still watching?"
Of course I am! How dare you interrupt!

Thanks to Netflix and other streaming services, binge watching is super easy - you don't even need to change out a DVD to watch multiple seasons! This may or may not be a good thing...




1. Breaking Bad
I binged the first three seasons one summer, then started watching regularly on AMC during the fourth and fifth seasons. I was left with such a fierce need to know what happened to the characters, it was practically a temporary addiction.




2. Big Bang Theory
This is one show that I have binge-watched both on DVD and as reruns on TBS and other tv networks. While this show does have some problems (representation of minorities and female characters comes to mind, sometimes the jokes veer too far from "This is geeky and also funny!" to "This is funny because geeks are ridiculous, lol, nerds, amirite?"), this show is still a lot of fun to watch. Even if everything they have ever said about Warcraft is horribly, horribly wrong.




3. Firefly
This show is binge-worthy for two reasons. The first is, it's just that good. It's like the Lays potato chips of TV shows, you can't stop at just one. The second reason this show is binge-worthy is a sad one: there's only one season of 14 episodes. So if you're watching one, you might as well watch the whole season.




4. Battlestar Galactica
No matter how many times I watch this series, I am always left wanting more. Just catching a rerun on BBC America is enough to set me off on a binge.




5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
This animated series was released in six seasons between 2008 and 2014 on Cartoon Network and Netflix. This series is definitely binge-worthy, and each episode is only ~22 minutes long, so it is easy to power through 6 episodes or more without realizing how much time has passed.

If you are going to watch The Clone Wars, I recommend following the official chronological episode order on StarWars.com - using this order, certain storylines make more sense and characters don't reappear after they've died.


Honorable Mention:
The Boyfriend watches the entire run of Futurama at least once a year, start to finish, over a couple of weeks. That's seven seasons, plus three movies. But Futurama is one of the best shows ever made.

via Gizmodo


Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica images via Wikipedia.
The Clone Wars image via Wookieepedia.

4 comments:

  1. One day soon, I hope to rewatch the Clone Wars in chronological order because yeah, that time-hopping in the beginning was preeeetty confusing.

    As much as I loved BSG, that's probably one of the few shows I couldn't really "binge." Like I'd have to stop after a couple eps because it was just so INTENSE and dense, you know? But great, great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew is really into The Clone Wars which makes me so damn proud and I'm totally encouraging the Star Wars nerdiness by buying him lots of Lego sets, but I've only seen a few of the episodes so one weekend I'm going to have to go through the whole damn thing with him xox

    ♥ Cateaclysmic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Big Bang Theory is such a guilty pleasure of mine! Although it is really cringey when they get stuff way off! Like, it drives me crazy that they think The Doctor's name is Doctor Who! *facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hate BBT because of the stereotypes it uses (and I've always had a problem with how people *love* Sheldon, but probably bullied people like him IRL) but I won't lie and say I don't enjoy it whenever I catch an episode :P

    ReplyDelete