Friday, May 29, 2015

#Fandom5: Five Fictional Characters I Identify With, May 29th, 2015

Happy Friday, fellow nerds!!!

#Fandom5, or 5 Fandom Friday is a weekly blog link-up and the creation of Kristin at Super Space Chick and Megan at The Nerdy Girlie.  It's a lot of fun and a great way to find new blogs! Go here to learn more about it or follow #Fandom5 on Twitter!

Today's Fandom5 topic is: five fictional characters you identify with!

This post took some effort, moving beyond tropes and trying to think of characters I really identify with and not just characters I love or wish I was like. And after writing this, I have concluded that I am the Hulk crossed with Pinkie Pie... scary.

Here's my list!

1.  Hermione Granger, Harry Potter Novels
I've always been the teacher's pet, know-it-all, overachiever type, and I have loved and identified with Hermione since I first read the Harry Potter books fifteen years ago. She finds answers, gets stuff done, and watches out for her friends.



2.  Chuck Bartowski, "Chuck" TV Show
I identify with Chuck because at the start of the series he's a geek who is trapped in a crap job and wants more out of life, questioning the path he's on, and dealing with daddy-issues and self-identity. Lots of people feel stuck in their life, and unsure how or scared to make changes, dwelling on the past (Chuck's experience getting kicked out of Stanford), and letting the routine of life keep them down. Fortunately for Chuck, change found him, as it so often does in the standard hero story. That, I do not really identify with...



3.  Princess Leia, Star Wars Trilogy
She's assertive, pragmatic, driven, and not above calling someone a stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder. I like to think I share a lot of these qualities with Princess Leia, and I try to remind myself of what I can learn from her and draw inspiration when I'm feeling burned out or low.



4.  Hulk, Marvel Cinematic Universe/Marvel Comics
Socially awkward? Check.
Nerd/Academic? Check and check.
Always angry? Check. Constant smoldering rage.
Large and green? Not so much...



5.  Pinkie Pie, "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" TV Show
Those of you who follow me on Twitter know that I get really excited about ALL THE THINGS! I abuse the words Awesome, Amazing, and Great. If you're a nerd who likes the same things as me, I will be your cheerleader and happily jump around cheering for you. And if you watch MLP:FIM, you know where I'm going with this... I'm basically Pinkie Pie in human form. Also, cupcakes.




Runner-up:  Queen Elsa, Disney's "Frozen"
When I first saw Frozen, I was on my way out of a long and dark period of depression. I was also dealing with some family stuff, questioning familial and cultural expectations (getting the PhD, getting married, having kids), and I don't even care how cliché this is, Elsa's song "Let It Go" really helped me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment