Friday, May 8, 2015

#Fandom5: Five Favorite Fictional Moms, May 8th, 2015

This weekend is Mother's Day here in the US and to celebrate, this week's Fandom5 topic is favorite fictional moms! Did everyone remember to send their mom a card???

Picking out favorite fictional moms was more difficult than I thought it would be. A lot of my favorite characters' moms don't figure in their stories, and more often than not it's because they're dead. Wtf Disney? My relationship with my own mother has always been pretty good too, so I never envied any fictional characters their mothers.

But once I got thinking, I found lots of great fictional mothers - most of my choices are from TV shows or books. This is my list:

1. Queen Elinor
"Brave" is a great movie about mothers and daughters. Queen Elinor wants what she thinks is best for her daughter, Merida, but learns about her daughter's interests and talents and desires over the course of the film. Merida, in turn, grows up, learns responsibility for her actions and consideration for what her mother is trying to teach her, and they both come out on the other side appreciating each other more. Plus Queen Elinor is voiced by Emma Thompson, who is wonderful.

via the Disney Wiki

2. Molly Weasley
I bet she's going to show up on a lot of lists today, and for good reason. She is one of the best fictional moms I can think of. She loves and cares for her kids and all their friends. She watches out for Harry, who never had a caring mother-figure. And she defeated Bellatrix Lestrange during the Battle of Hogwarts in one of the most mama-bear moments in fiction: "Not my daughter, you bitch!"

via the Harry Potter Wiki

3. Helen McIntyre
I had an American Girl Molly doll growing up and I remember her mom being pretty great in the Molly books. She worked outside the home while her husband was overseas working as a doctor during the war, but had plenty of time to listen to her children's stories and problems. She helped Molly make a hula skirt out of newspaper and crepe paper for Halloween. And she was firm when they misbehaved.

via the American Girls Wiki

4. Linda Belcher
Alriiiiiiiiiight! Linda is a great mom - she accepts her kids' quirks, supports them in their weird little dreams and activities, and being a mom isn't her entire identity. She has her own adventures and personality. And she likes to randomly break into song.

via gifthetv.tumblr.com

5. Kitty Forman
"That 70s Show" was one of my favorites in high school and I loved Eric's parents, Kitty and Red. Kitty held the family together, navigated her husband's short temper, stood up for her son, saw through her daughter's lies, and cared about all of her son's friends too, especially when the family took in Hyde after his own mother abandoned him.




Thanks for reading!

1 comment: