Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tabletop Tuesday, April 14th, 2015



Hi everybody! This is a new series I'm working on called Tabletop Tuesday. In this series I will review new (to me) board games, discuss game systems and 2-player games, detail my new D&D adventures, and generally talk about almost anything to do with gaming.

This past Saturday, April 11th, was the third annual International TableTop Day. International TableTop Day was started in 2012 by Geek & Sundry as part of their TableTop YouTube series, hosted by Wil Wheaton.  Since then the event has become extremely popular - last year, TableTop Day events were held in 80 countries!  These events are held in comic book stores, libraries, and even people's homes - if you follow the International TableTop Day link above, you can find events in your local area.

The Boyfriend and I spent the previous Saturday playing Dungeons & Dragons for 8 hours, so we decided to stay in and have a low-key TableTop Day!

Because we've had trouble finding a regular group of friends to play tabletop games with, The Boyfriend and I tend to buy games that can be played by two people. This not only means that we get more use out of the games we do buy, but we also become familiar with the rules and can teach our friends and families to play when we do have a group! I will write a more detailed post about two-player gaming in the future, discussing the pros and cons to playing with a single partner and what games I recommend for two players.

For TableTop Day, we played a few rounds of Pandemic (a new favorite!), Battle Wizards, and Big Bang Theory Party Trivia. But this post isn't about those games - though I'll write about them soon. This post is about why I love playing tabletop games.

 


I love tabletop games because they are a form of interactive entertainment. You can't ignore someone playing a game with them the way you can watching a TV rerun. Games are a way to bond with friends and family, to share an experience, to teach culture or skills. That's why I love giving them as gifts. I remember playing games with my grandparents - Clue, Uno, Scrabble - and now I teach my family how to play the tabletop games I've discovered.

Tabletop games seem easier than ever to access - demos on YouTube show how to play, while forums like Board Game Geek offer reviews and recommendations. Half of my favorite local comic store is dedicated to tabletop games, and they host a variety of events every month educating new players, showcasing new games, and hosting tournaments for old favorites. Tabletop games are a great way to make new friends, and they aren't exclusive to one type of person or age group.

I've recently started playing some new types of games (miniatures, tabletop RPGs), bought a few more games, and learned some new skills related to gaming, and I plan to share my experiences through these posts, to expand my own knowledge of tabletop gaming and share what I love.

Thank you for reading!!! If you have any questions, requests, or suggestions for future posts please leave them in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment