Friday, April 17, 2015

#Fandom5: Five Favorite Theme Park Rides, April 17th, 2015

Happy Friday!

I love theme parks and thrill rides. Growing up, I was lucky to have an amusement park within an hour's drive of my home. It was a small park, but we visited it once or twice most summers and always had a great time.

My favorite person to visit amusement parks with is my sister, and I have some great memories of visiting parks with her. In 2013 we went to Disney World and visited all four parks! It was so much fun and I can't wait to visit with her again.

I like coasters, and while I like spinning rides I have started struggling with those now that I'm getting older.  But my favorite rides have a story integrated with the ride, which is why the Disney World parks are my favorites to visit. This list was very hard to generate, because there are so many rides I wanted to include!


1. The Beast, Kings Island
I love Kings Island (especially their Fear Fest! which I guess is now known as Halloween Haunt?) and The Beast is one of my all-time favorite coasters.

It's a wooden coaster, and has just the right amount of shake to it - there's something about wooden coasters, they age in a way that makes the ride better, while steel coasters just get painful to ride as they age. Or is that just me?

I love this coaster, and have some great memories of riding it with my favorite aunt, my mom, and my sister. There's this one drop The Beast is known for that makes it feel like you're about to launch over this large wooded area before it turns and yanks you into a tunnel! Awesome.

via CoasterGallery.com


2. Millenium Force, Cedar Point
In 2007 my sister and I took an impromptu trip to Cedar Point, near Sandusky, Ohio. This coaster is one of the best I've ever ridden, and if the wait hadn't been so long (hour+) we would have ridden it multiple times. The largest drop is 300 feet high and has an 80 degree angle - you are almost heading straight down! It felt amazing.





3. Haunted Mansion, Magic Kingdom
This is one of the best rides in all of Disney. I love ghost stories and haunted houses, and this one has so many neat tricks and details. My sister and I rode this at least four times between our two days in Magic Kingdom, and we got the same Hitchhiking Ghost every time! Spooky!

via Disney World official site


4. Splash Mountain, Magic Kingdom
Not only does this log flume ride have a very satisfying drop, but it's one of those rides that follows a story instead of just ending after 60 seconds.  Splash Mountain follows the story of Brere Rabbit and the Briar Patch from Disney's Song of the South. I love listening to "How Do You Do?" as the anticipation builds and you're thrown in the briar patch with Brere Rabbit (the drop into the water!)

via Disney World official site


5. Star Tours, Disney Hollywood Studios
I visited DHS (or MGM if you're old skool) for the first time on our 2013 trip and had a great time! There are some amazing and fun rides there, and while it was hard to choose a favorite, I had to go with Star Tours. I fangirled pretty hard on this ride and went on it twice. My sister has trouble with this ride, since the movement makes her feel sick, but she rallied and went on it once with me and patiently waited while I went again (there was barely a line, so she didn't have to wait long!)

Selfie with R2!!!


Honorable mention: Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
This isn't a ride, but it was so much fun! This is a game played in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World that uses trading cards and interactive displays hidden all over the park. The premise is Hades has gathered the villains to take over the park and you have to help stop them using the magic spells on your cards.




What is your favorite park or park ride? Do you like coasters? Spinning rides? Carousels?



#Fandom5, or 5 Fandom Friday is a weekly blog link-up, and the creation of Kristin at Super Space Chick and Megan at The Nerdy Girlie.  It's a lot of fun and it's a great way to find new blogs! Go here to learn more about it!

3 comments:

  1. We played SOTMK for the first time last year and I need to finish collecting my set! And thanks for posting about those places in Ohio! My Stepdaughter's mom moved her to Ohio and we have no idea what to do when we visit her. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my comment was helpful! Kennywood in Pennsylvania is also a lot of fun - if she's located in the eastern part of Ohio it can make for a fun day trip. Cedar Point and Kings Island are very easy to get to from Cleveland, Columbus, Cinci, or Dayton!

      Delete
  2. Ooohh Millennium Force looks so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete