Monday, March 16, 2015

#Fandom5: My Fictional BFFs, March 13th, 2015

Happy Friday the 13th!

Late post because I was waiting to add pictures and then I never did!  But I had a terrible cold (thank you, students) and was laid up on the couch all week, so I'm not going to beat myself up too badly.

This week we were asked to blog about our fictional BFFs.

1. Princess Leia
Kind of an obvious answer for me, because I LOVE her and want to be her. She would be a great BFF because she's loyal, kind but not a doormat, and you know she'd be a great friend to have in a bad situation.

2. Thor and Loki
I would love to be a member of their little friend group, with Lady Sif and the Warriors Three. I used to do Dark Age reenactment, and I imagine hanging around with them would be like living at a reenactment event (get drunk, fight with swords, cook over a fire, and sleep amidst castle ruins). In fact, I know a few guys are are the living embodiment of Volstagg...

3. Peggy Carter and Angie
Five words: Girls' night at Stark's apartment!!!  I think I would get along with Peggy very well, and Angie is a great time. If Agent Carter has a second season, I would love to get more time with these two and see their relationship.

4. Harry, Ron, and Hermione
But mostly Hermione. While the last few books were being released, it really felt like these characters were real. (I'm a Ravenclaw, so Hermione could take a break from Harry's "Boy-who-lived" angst c. Book 5 and come study with me!)

5. Belle, Beauty and the Beast
Like a lot of little girls, I identified with Belle.  She was a different kind of Disney princess - instead of spending half her movie asleep, she took it upon herself to rescue her father twice and returned to the Beast's castle when she feared for his life and the actions of the mob.  Plus she was a brunette who liked to read, and so am I.  I really think we would be BFFs.

6. Catherine/Birdy
My mom bought me the book "Catherine, Called Birdy" because my name is Katherine and she thought I would like it. Actually, I LOVED it and re-read it so many times that the cover is practically falling off. It's one of the few books from my youth that I took with me when I moved out of my parents' house (there are so many more I want to retrieve, but I need more shelves!!!), and I re-read it often. Birdy inspired me, and was a kindred spirit when I needed one. The setting of the book is medieval England, which is still one of my favorite periods of history to study. 

Beyond Birdy being someone I could imagine being a BFF with (if I was a young teen again) this book and its main character really are my fictional BFFs, because a book and its characters are always there for you, and no matter how many times you re-read it, you can learn new lessons from them.

Runner Up: The Sailor Scouts and the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey, because I immersed myself in both of these worlds when I was younger. And Molly McIntire.



#Fandom5, or 5 Fandom Friday is a weekly blog link-up, and the creation of Kristin at Super Space Chick and Megan at The Nerdy Girlie.  Go here to learn more about it!

1 comment: