Friday, February 13, 2015

#Fandom5: Favorite Fandom Couples/Ships, February 13th, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day!

Wuv, twue wuv, is what bwings us hewre today.  This week's 5 Fandom Friday topic is all about those characters we love to ship.

Do you like to ship based on canonical evidence?  Do you throw out the established relationships and think about who you want to see end up together?

This topic is a tough one for me... because I don't really participate in shipping.  So many of my favorite characters have established relationships in the canon (eg. Han and Leia 4ever!!! <3<3<3) and the ones that don't... well, I don't agree with pairing up characters just to pair them up.  But sometimes there's something there, a spark or a potential backstory...

Like this:


Yeah, pretty sure the noise I made when I first saw this gif wasn't human.  Just, oh my god...

That is Hera Syndulla, a Twi'lek pilot and owner of a ship called the Ghost.  And with her is Kanan Jarrus, who is in hiding after surviving Order 66 and the slaughter of his fellow Jedi.  They are two of the characters on the Disney XD show Star Wars Rebels.  (these links go to Wookieepedia, but may contain spoilers)

I went into the series expecting something like a close, but professional, friendship between these two that was slowly turning a bit parental as they added crew members and more to worry about.  Something based on a deal surrounding the use of Hera's ship, their shared participation in the rebellion against the Empire, and their ability to rely on each other as the unofficial parents in the crew family.

What I got instead was head-canon about a love that could never be, due to Kanan being a Jedi.  It's not a burning, will-they-won't-they love, where they are wasting away, pining for each other.  No, in my imagination it's mature, it's moved on, but every now and then one of them feels a tinge of "what could have been..."  Ugh, heart breaking!

There is a prequel book out, Star Wars: A New Dawn, that explores how Hera and Kanan meet and form their partnership.  I have not read this, though it is on my TBR list, so I can't speak to how that story aligns with this bit of fan-canon.  But I'm not the only one aboard this ship... I'll end this post with one of my favorite fan-art pieces, by Tumblr user Lorna-Ka.


(btw Hera is finally getting an action figure!!! The Mary Sue had an article about this back in December, so hopefully she'll be available soon!)

3 comments:

  1. Hah, I'm not really a shipper either. I love the take you did on this post, and I can totally see this about Hera and Kanan. I'm also curious about that prequel book. Let me know if it's good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked how your did your post too! I will let you know how A New Dawn is - fingers crossed that the writing is better than some other Star Wars books I've picked up.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I missed this post but Gah! My shipper heart. When I was watching this series I got the feels from them.

    ReplyDelete