Friday, February 20, 2015

#Fandom5: The Backlog... February 20th, 2015

Oh, this is going to be a rough post...

"5 Fandom Friday: 
Things I've Bought But Haven't Read/Watched/Played Yet"

Where do I even begin!?

I'm a grad student, working on my PhD.  There are only so many hours in the day, so I will buy a game or movie or comic that I really want to enjoy, and then it's still sitting unopened months later.  Usually because when I do have some free time I do something familiar and comfortable, like play Warcraft or watch Netflix.

At least I can leave my trade paperbacks off this list!  I read (most of) those earlier this month.


1. Wonder Woman, the complete series on DVD
This box set was on sale for $30 at Amazon so I picked it up as an early Christmas present to myself.  The cellophane is still on the box... I think the box is downstairs...



2.  Outlander Series, books 6-8
I got stuck in book 5, The Fiery Cross, back in the winter of 2013-2014.  I forget which month I stopped reading, and I've been struggling to get back into it ever since.  But holy crap, is this book slow - it's bogged down in too much detail, too many POV characters, and a lack of an overarching plot.  The remaining books are supposed to be much better, and according to Reddit many readers get slowed down by book 5, but right now the entire series is feeling like a chore.

I don't want to throw in the towel on this series yet, but I may have to skim the rest of book 5 to give the remaining books a fair chance.



3.  Child of Light, PC
I bought this game in the winter Steam sale.  It was very well reviewed and has a female protagonist, which caught my interest.  But I haven't had time to play it yet - I was working on my dissertation and starting a new job in January, and when I did sit at my gaming PC it was to play Warcraft (when I had game time, at least). 



4.  Hordes, Circle of Orboros
The Boyfriend and I bought starter packs of the Warmachine/Hordes miniatures game back in... October?  Our local comic store was having a sale.  I chose Circle of Orboros because I like the fantasy elements of the Hordes factions better than the space army aesthetic of Warmachine, and I thought it'd be cool to command an army of puppies (aka wolves/werewolves).  But mine are still sitting unpainted and unplayed.



5.  London/English history books
I have a great collection of history books (a few are pictured above), but since I read history books for work all day by the time I can sit down and read something for pleasure I want something easy to digest, entertaining, and preferably fictional.  I bought a few of these at Half Price Books and online for cheap, and I would love to have the time and brainpower to read them.  Urban and economic history in London is just too similar to what I'm reading for my graduate work.



Runner Up: Game of Thrones, PC
I bought a Humble Bundle just to have this game... and I have yet to even open any of the games I downloaded!  I'm so glad I shop sales and indie games on Steam, because this list would be much more depressing if I was paying full price for brand new games.

Pictures are via Amazon or the official website associated with the product.

5 comments:

  1. I really want to read the Outlander series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I replied to your comment and my iPad messed it up! Long comment below was supposed to be in reply to your comment.

      Delete
  2. It's a really good series - I love the first three books! And the content is so varied (adventure, romance, history, medicine, war) that it stays interesting. I'm just feeling discouraged by the fifth book because I hate some of the new POV characters and the plot is in a place where it feels like it's not progressing, though I can see how the author is laying a foundation for future events.

    The UK edition of the first book was actually edited and retitled "Cross Stitch" - when the author was writing the first book she wasn't really doing it with the goal of getting published, so she was lax with a few details. So dates were changed to reflect the events of WWII better, and some other content was changed. There is a blog that details all if the differences between the UK and US editions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably should get round to watching all the box sets I already have and haven't watched yet but I really want that Wonder Woman box set!

    ♥ Cateaclysmic ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a shoulder-devil, because I want to say, "Do it! Buy it!" ;-)

      Delete