Friday, December 5, 2014

5 Fandom Friday: December 5th, 2014

Happy December! It's hard to believe 2014 is almost over...


Today's topic: My Favorite Holiday Songs to Spread Cheer!

Halloween is my favorite holiday, but Christmas/Yule is a very close second!  The twinkle lights, the evergreens, the rebirth of the Sun on the Solstice, the baked goods, the movies...

And I love Christmas music - so much so that I have five different iTunes playlists devoted to it!

You got that right Buddy!

If I miss my mom, I play Mannheim Steamroller and Celtic-inspired Christmas music.  If I am feeling frustrated, but want to salvage my Christmas spirit, I break out the Xmas metal (very useful when shopping right before the holiday).  But the classics, like Dean Martin and Bing Crosby, are my absolute favorites.

But what are my top five?

1.  Christmas Can-Can, by Straight No Chaser
I first heard this during the Christmas season of 2010 while I was driving 6 hours to visit my family.  I was driving through Pennsylvania in a snow storm, listening to a station playing only Christmas music, and this came on.  I was at the 4-hour mark, and it was just what I needed to reenergize me!

This one is a lot of fun - the tempo of the song and the humor in the lyrics always improve my mood.  When I finally reached my parents' house I downloaded it and played it for my mom, who then asked me to make her a mix CD with this song on it!



2.  The Twelve Days of Christmas, performed by John Denver and the Muppets
I have several versions of "12 Days" in my iTunes, but this one is my favorite.  Hearing Miss Piggy sing, "Ba-dum, bum, bum!" makes me so happy.  This one definitely spreads the cheer - only a grinch wouldn't love the Muppets!


3.  The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, performed by Andy Williams
I have a hard time describing how this one makes me feel, but it fills me with so much joy that I want to dance around like I'm in an old movie musical.



4.  Feels Like Christmas, from the Muppet Christmas Carol soundtrack
The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas movie (but that's a topic for a later Fandom5) and any of the songs from it get me into the Christmas spirit, especially this one.  I love this part of the movie, watching Scrooge start on the path to redemption.  Look at him smile!




5.  Sleigh Ride, performed by Johnny Mathis
I have 4-5 different versions of this song, but Johnny Mathis is my favorite to sing along to.  The Ronettes are a very close second though (and the Spice Girls have a version almost identical to the Ronettes, so they'll do in a pinch!)



I was going to do honorable mentions (because I have 167 Christmas songs in my iTunes and add a few more every year), but I ended up with more of those than the actual Fandom 5 list... so instead I will leave you with an anecdote.

While writing this I was looking at my iTunes and listening to a few songs to make sure I got them right, and I realized what a freaking hodge podge my Christmas music list is...  and what a gamble it is to have my entire Christmas collection on shuffle!  Why do I say that?  Because I have both "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole and Bob River's "Chipmunks Roasting On an Open Fire" and they start the exact same way, with an instrumental bit - so here I was thinking I was getting the sentimental Nat King Cole song, when suddenly it's about roasting the Chipmunks and eating them!  Boy, did that make my morning! Hilarious!

Happy Holidays!  What are your favorite holiday songs? Do you prefer humorous songs, Christmas classics, or instrumental pieces?  Do you really want a hippopotamus for Christmas or are you just saying that?



To learn more about 5 Fandom Fridays, check out The Nerdy Girlie's blog or Super Space Chick's blog!  December and January prompts are posted on their blogs (TheNerdyGirlie and SuperSpaceChick).

4 comments:

  1. I love a mix of both humour and classic! This post made me realise there's so many songs I forgot about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I love reading everyone else's posts, because my reaction is always, "Yes! I forgot that one!"

      Delete
  2. I love Straight No Chaser! They do some amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The Can-Can was the first time I heard them, and now I love them!

      Delete