Sunday, November 9, 2014

Cosplay: Bespin Leia #1

For SDCC 2015, I have decided to cosplay as Princess Leia once again (last year I cosplayed as Leia and wore her Endor poncho).  This time, I will be making her Bespin tunic and cloak.  I love this costume - the colors, the silhouette, the details.



Leia wears this outfit in Cloud City, when she, Han, Chewy, and the droids arrive on Bespin after their escape from Hoth, through the asteroid field.  After they arrive in Cloud City, they are greeted by Lando Calrissian.  I think the Millennium Falcon crew was shown to an apartment and given some time to clean up and relax, and Lando or one of the servants gave Leia this outfit to replace her Hoth gear.  Leia is wearing this when they learn of Lando's betrayal and the presence of Darth Vader in Cloud City, but she changes back into her Hoth gear once they are taken prisoner.



This costume consists of the tunic and pants, a belt, matching flat shoes, and the embroidered overdress/cape.  The Rebel Legion costume criteria describe the costume elements as: 
"Burgundy or maroon-colored tunic in a non-shiny fabric that falls to mid-thigh. Fitted sleeves end in rounded point just past the wrist. Neckline and wrists have copper metallic trim." 

"Loose harem pants."  

"Off-white cloak in a non-shiny fabric with a padded yoke with standing collar and metallic copper trim, along with a sheer non-shiny lining the same color as the tunic and pants and a copper metallic trim. The off-white fabric of the cloak is decorated in a stylized, paisley-like pattern filled with a “fish scales” design complete with rosettes of varying sizes at the waistline and hem in shades of yellow, pink, burgundy, and brown."

Useful links I have found include:
Leia Organa Bespin Gown page on the Rebel Legion
Rebel Legion Forum posts (eg. 1, 2, 3)
The Padawan's Guide - Bespin Leia page
Maggie's Costume Site - Leia Bespin Costume
Padme's Closet - Princess Leia's Bespin "Gown" (ESB)
Rebels Haven - SWFFAQ Bespin gown photo page
Sarcasm-hime's Cosplay - Bespin Leia and Lando Calrissian

Maggie's page is great because she has some in progress photos and discusses what worked for her and what didn't, so I'll be using her page as my primary reference.

Pattern ideas:
Simplicity 1593 - knit tunics, would need hem and sleeves lengthened, pattern is made for knit fabrics and might need some adjustments
Simplicity 5259 - harem pants, view B/C

I still need to source materials.  Silk georgette and twill were mentioned on various posts, but Joann's has their Casa crepe in burgundy and that seems like a good weight and color... maybe... perhaps I should order some samples of other fabrics and colors online...

And the most daunting part of this costume?



Yeah... All that embroidery!
This is going to take a while, so I'm getting started asap.  All I need to do is figure out what fabric I want to use...

I'll be making progress updates and organizing resources here on my blog.

1 comment: