Friday, November 14, 2014

5 Fandom Friday: November 14th, 2014



Topic: Smartphone apps I cannot live without!

Confession: I was a "dumb-phone" holdout.  I only got my first smartphone back in July, in preparation for San Diego Comic Con.  I wanted to be able to Tweet from the con floor without relying on the convention center's internet connection.

But in spite of my fondness for flip-phones, I am quite familiar with iOS and which apps I like because I have been using the iPod Touch since the first generation and I have an iPad mini.  If I hadn't switched to the iPhone, I would probably be writing this post based on how much time I spend on my iPad - which is way too much time!

1. Twitter  - iTunes  -  Android
It is the reason I switched to a smart-phone, after all, so it had to make the list.  I hate pretty much every social network site, but I love Twitter.  It's ephemeral; you post something and it fades into the background pretty fast.  But it's also engaging; anyone else can reply, start a conversation, answer a question, or retweet to boost the signal.



2. Polyvore
Despite never being really into clothes, I have had so much fun with this app.  It's like playing dress up.  By playing around on Polyvore, I'm discovering what styles I really like, which will be useful since I really need to overhaul my wardrobe.

But my favorite thing is to look at the closet cosplays people make - check out Leslieakay (DisneyBounding), TheNerdyGirlie, and Fandom-Inspired-Fashion for some great sets.  There is a lot of creativity and inspiration to be found in this app.

Links: DIVACRAFTS * FANDOM-INSPIRED-FASHION * LESLIEAKAY * THENERDYGIRLIE


3. Sudoku
This is my favorite way to waste time.  My favorite version is Tap! Sudoku, which I've been playing since I got my first iPod Touch, and I can beat the hardest setting in less than 3 minutes.  If I could only have one game on any device, it would be sudoku.  (A close runner-up would be Mahjong.)


4. Alien Blue
The (recently) official app for Reddit, I only just started using this, but I really like it so far.  It works much better than the iReddit app I used to use, and it's easier to stay logged in and look at links without losing your place in a thread than when I used Safari.  I don't spend much time on Reddit anymore, and when I am it's to look at the subs for my favorite hobbies, look for cosplay tips or Comic Con links, or check out the fashion/makeup/skincare subs, but this app makes it more enjoyable.



5. FitBit/MyFitnessPal  -  iTunes  -  Android
Like lots of people, I struggle with my weight.  And of all of the diet trackers I've used, I like MyFitnessPal the best.  They have a huge database of foods for tracking, the interface is uncluttered and easy to use, and there are no fake points or forced social aspects like other sites.  There is also a barcode scanner, which I LOVE.

It's also compatible with my FitBit One - so I track my food in MFP, which then imports to the FitBit app.  It's really nifty, and this is the first time since starting my PhD that I am losing weight instead of gaining it.


Haha 1337!



What are your favorite apps?  Am I missing anything that will blow my mind or make life easier?


To learn more about 5 Fandom Fridays, check out The Nerdy Girlie's blog or Super Space Chick's blog!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing my Polyvore!! I LOVE that site, I haven't used the app yet, but I am so addicted to making collages there! I cannot believe it took me so long to do it, it is so simple!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And so fun! The app lacks a few features found on the full site, but if all you're doing is looking at sets and items, it is so easy to use. But for creating I definitely prefer the full site.

      Delete
  2. Twitter was my number 1 too and also for the reasons you listed! Your comment at the start of this post about smart phones is so funny because I was kind of a hold out too. I had a smart phone before I switched to iPhone, but I didn't get super sucked into the whole smart phone thing until I switched to iPhone... and I also did it for Comic Con, lol. It was 2013 SDCC, my first one and I was like - yeah, I need an iPhone + internet for Tweeting and Instagramming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny that you're an SDCC iPhone convert too! It definitely made SDCC that much easier to navigate and I used it to participate in a few contests too.

      Delete