Monday, October 27, 2014

My Halloween Playlist




I LOVE Halloween!

When I was a kid, my mom and I would get really into decorating the house.  Then, during trick-or-treat, we would blast music out the window - sometimes it was fun Halloween music, but as I got older we started playing Midnight Syndicate more frequently, to create a spooky vibe.

My siblings and I also had a cassette of a man narrating as he spent a night in two haunted places, a haunted house and a graveyard.  Being little kids, we convinced ourselves that it was a real recording, and we loved listening to it, imagining that one day we would get to explore haunted places too, or pretending we were accompanying the narrator as he guided us through the haunted places.  (We had very active imaginations.)  For years we tried to find another copy, but it's out of print.  People have posted it on YouTube, though.  Listening to it again, I can't believe we used to listen to this in our dark basement - it's really creepy!

I also took tap dancing lessons as a kid, and as soon as October hit my dance teacher would break out the Halloween music.  Without it, it just doesn't feel like October.  The sounds of Halloween are as important as the pumpkins on the porch or the movies on TV for me.

Over the years I have created a Halloween playlist that I listen to almost exclusively during October.  Some are obviously Halloween songs, some just have a creepy or spooky vibe to them, some just have a title or lyrics that are vaguely Halloweeny enough for me to include them.

If you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments!

This is Halloween  -  The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack
I'm Your Boogieman  -  White Zombie
The Monster Mash  -  Bobby "Boris" Pickett
I Put a Spell On You  -  Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Witchy Woman  -  The Eagles    (Cher's version is definitely worth a watch)
Boris the Spider  -  The Who
Feed My Frankenstein  -  Alice Cooper
Werewolves of London  -  Warren Zevon
Dead Man's Party  -  Oingo Boingo
Welcome to My Nightmare  -  Alice Cooper
Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?  -  North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative
Ghost Town  -  The Specials
Hell  -  Squirrel Nut Zippers
Hocus Pocus  -  Focus
Thriller  -  Michael Jackson
Twilight Zone  -  Golden Earring
Oogie Boogie's Song  -  The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack
This is Halloween  -  Marilyn Manson
Fire On High  -  Electric Light Orchestra
Ghostbusters  -  Ray Parker, Jr.
Night On Bald Mountain - Modest Mussorgsky, composer

A YouTube playlist for all the videos linked can be found here.
All of these can be bought on iTunes (I think... I only checked for the ones I thought might not be there, like the Nightmare Before Christmas songs...)

Fun fact: "Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?" was a charity song for UNICEF.

Happy listening, and Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment