Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Loot Crate Review: Fear Theme, October 2014



My second Loot Crate came as a total surprise - it arrived four days early and I never received a tracking email!  There it was, waiting on my front porch on October 16th.

If you're not familiar with Loot Crate, it's a subscription mystery box service that is oriented towards geek and gamer interests. More info can be found here!

October's theme was "Fear." All month the Loot Crate social media accounts were teasing the contents of this month's box... A special exclusive item from Capcom... A t-shirt... A "Walking Dead" exclusive comic... A SuperEmoFriends print. 

Now that I think about it, they teased almost the entire box...



This month's box included:
  1. The Walking Dead comic, issue #132 with exclusive variant cover
  2. SuperEmoFriends print titled "Oh Brother!" featuring Daryl Dixon and Zombie Merle from AMC's The Walking Dead
  3. How to Survive a Shaknado and Other Unnatural Disasters, a Sharknado inspired survival guide to animal-based natural disasters
  4. A t-shirt with a design by Super7, depicting a skull made out of cats - "Death By Kitten"
  5. A pen/replica of the Sledgesaw Hammer weapon from Capcom's Dead Rising 3
  6. Zombie bite and other horror themed temporary tattoos
  7. A single piece of Toxic Waste candy (I guess it's like a Warhead?)
  8. Standard Loot Crate button and magazine

Okay... I'll be pretty honest, there was not much about this box that I liked. 

"The Good"
I liked the Walking Dead comic, because I read those, though I read the compendiums so I'm not as far along as issue #132 yet. And I liked the SuperEmoFriends print by JSalvador, because I love Daryl Dixon and think it's really cute. It will go well with my Daryl Dixon action figure.  I kept these two items for myself, because The Boyfriend doesn't read the comics and I called "Claim!" on all Daryl items.



"The Bad"
The Sharknado book is just... Not my cup of tea? I have the Zombie Survival Guide and the Complete Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook, so I do like the humor-based survival guide genre, but this one felt like they were really stretching for a movie tie-in. Maybe if I liked Syfy B movies more...

"The Ugly"
I hate the t-shirt.  I'm not a cat person by any stretch of the imagination.  Neither is The Boyfriend.  The Loot Crate theme was Fear... What's scary about kitties?  Why are the cats making up a skull?  Is this supposed to be edgy?  I've seen very similar designs by harebrained on TeeFury before and didn't like them then, so pulling this shirt out of the Crate was a big disappointment.

Death By Kitten, by Super7, $30 online

and "The Kind-Of Good, But I Don't Like It Enough To Keep It"
While I think the duct-taped hybrid weapon pen from Dead Rising 3 is kinda cool, I'm not really a fan.  I didn't realize it was a pen until I saw someone tweet about it, and to be honest, I actually liked it less once I learned that.  The entire thing feels kind of fragile, and I'm scared that it will crack when I remove the pen cap (the saw part of the weapon).

  
It's a weapon...
It's a pen!


Like I said, other than the book, I kind of knew what was coming before it arrived. What I didn't know was that I wouldn't care for most of the crate.  But based on what I've read, this was a divisive crate - people either loved it or hated it - so it's not the best crate to judge the subscription service on.

This was only my second subscription crate and my third crate in total.  I think I like toys, comics, posters/art, and things like key chains best from the boxes I've received.  And the Deadpool socks.  Those were awesome.  I'm not a fan of the t-shirts I've received, though I already own so many geeky tees already, and I don't care for the items that feel like filler - knick knacks they just threw in to make it seem like we got more than we did, like the Firefly money.  Now that I'm figuring out what I want from each crate, I am happier to continue receiving it.  

If you think Loot Crate is something you would like to try, check it out!  I definitely recommend it if you enjoy getting packages in the mail and have a wide variety of interests or fandoms.  It's especially fun to share with a friend, like I do with The Boyfriend.



Next month - my Loot Crate November 2014: Battle review!  Supposedly there will be a MegaMan exclusive - The Boyfriend is looking forward to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment