Friday, October 17, 2014

5 Fandom Friday: October 17th, 2014


Welcome back!  It's time for another 5 Fandom Friday!

Theme: Characters I'd love to dress up as for Halloween!

Halloween is serious business. It is my favorite holiday and always has been.  I love dressing up in costume, I love candy, I love scary movies, and I especially love the tradition and mythology behind the celebration of Halloween and how the holiday has grown within the last century or so.

Now that I'm too old to trick-or-treat, I like to sit at home, drink Ichabod pumpkin ale or Great Lakes' Nosferatu, light a bunch of candles, and watch scary movies.

My friends usually throw a party, too, complete with costumes, beer-pong or flip cup, and a keg.

But since cosplaying at SDCC last year, I think I prefer complex costumes for instances where they can be appreciated, and simple costumes for events where they might get destroyed or spilled on... like at Halloween parties.

Also, with Halloween you're dealing with a crowd that isn't made up of geeks (who will recognize more obscure characters because they like that show/movie/comic too).  If you wear a popular or easily recognized character, it gets rid of the need to explain your costume to everyone you run into.

I already made a post of every character I would love to cosplay as... but who do I want to dress up as for Halloween?  



1. Han Solo in Carbonite
Or not in carbonite... whichever.  But how fun would that be - make a frame, paper maché the carbonite or carve out of foam, leave holes for your hands to stick through so you can grab things if needed, a hole for your head, paint your face gray... I seriously might do this if I go to a party this year...



2. King Arthur and Patsy
This one's a couples' costume, but I've always wanted to go dressed as King Arthur and his faithful servant Patsy from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  We almost did this for SDCC, but the Boyfriend is not keen on costumes and I can never get him to dress up, let alone go to a Halloween party.



3. Hogwarts Student
Ravenclaw, of course!  I would wear my school uniform and robes to a party in a heartbeat!  It's recognizable, can be made/fixed using primarily thrifted items (so spills aren't a huge issue), and it's comfortable!  And what is more Halloween than dressing up as a witch?



4. Clippy from Microsoft Word
I think this would be hilarious.  Make a giant paper clip out of cardboard and aluminum foil, or fabric, or something, affix it to myself, then spend the party offering to help people.  "I see you're trying to make a drink, would you like some help with that?"  Haha, yeah, I'm kind of lame...



5. Sarah from the Labyrinth
If cost, time, talent, and worrying about if the costume will get ruined are taken out of the equation... I want Sarah's white ballgown from the Labyrinth.  I wants it, Precious.  This one is also on my list of cosplays.  I would wear it to a ball themed party and it would be just like the scene from the movie and everything would be mystical and gothic and lovely.



Funny story: my cousin and I both dressed up as California Raisins for Halloween '93.  Sorry, I don't have a pic.  My parents refuse to learn how to use their scanner.

What is your dream Halloween costume?  What costume was your favorite? Do you prefer funny or scary?

1 comment:

  1. CLIPPY...you are too funny!!! Great thinking outside the box! Sarah would be a dream cosplay! So gorg!! xx

    ReplyDelete