Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cosplay Ideas

Badges for San Diego Comic Con 2015 are going on sale this fall.  We had so much fun, we're going to queue up with everyone else who has early sale access (Comic Con 2014 attendees) and try to get badges again!  (omg Star Wars VII!!!  I might be camping for Hall H in 2015...)

But whether or not we get badges in this sale, I want to work on another cosplay.

The list of cosplays I want to try is kind of long, and a few are dependent on my weight/self-esteem issues.  Like, I would love to cosplay as Wonder Woman, but I don't even like wearing a swimsuit in public!  And I'm not exactly rolling in disposable income right now, so some supplies are outside my price-range at the moment and I would like to wait until I can afford the right materials to do the character justice.  But someday I'm hoping to have all of these costumes in my closet.

Characters I would love to cosplay as include:

  • Starbuck, from Battlestar Galactica
  • Wonder Woman
  • Captain Marvel
  • Various iterations of Princess Leia (Bespin Leia, Hoth Leia, ANH white dress Leia)
  • Rule 63 Han Solo
  • Xena, Warrior Princess
  • Sailor Mars
  • Sailor Pluto
  • Squirrel Girl
  • Mikasa Ackermann, from Attack On Titan
  • Bo Katan, from Clone Wars
  • Sabine, from Star Wars Rebels
  • Aayla Secura, the Twi'lek Jedi
  • Daring Do, from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
  • Bitch Pudding
  • Rapunzel, from Tangled (as a brunette)
  • Sabriel, from the book of the same name, the Old Kingdom series
  • Brienne of Tarth
  • Rule 63 Daryl Dixon (ha!  Darlene Dixon!)
  • Lagertha, from History's Vikings
  • Rule 63 Loki (not Lady Loki from the comics, but a female version of the movie Loki)
  • Lady Sif
  • Sarah, from The Labyrinth, in her white ballgown
  • She-Ra, Princess of Power
  • Vintage/Pin-Up style Snow White
  • Marian, from Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Rachael, from Blade Runner
  • Lumpy Space Princess
  • My SWTOR smuggler character, Chik Solo  ;-)


So that's... 31 characters.  Wow.

I wasn't sure who I would choose next.  I finished the pepakura for a Loki helmet already, so I would like to continue that costume, but the leather/pleather/leatherette would be very pricey.  Sailor Scouts/Xena/Lady Sif would be fun, but I want to be in better shape before I start working on those costumes.  I am an advocate for cosplay at any size, but to wear a Sailor fuku or leather skirt is outside my personal comfort zone right now.

Earlier today I found out that the next book in the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix is on schedule for release this fall.  I had heard about it a year or two ago, with the projected release date in October 2014, but hadn't paid any more attention to how the book was progressing until I thought to myself, "I wonder if that is still coming out next month."  I have been thinking about rereading Sabriel recently, and can't wait for this new story.

Thanks to that, I've had Sabriel on the brain.  I found this book in high school, a few years after it had been published.  It is my favorite in the series, though I love the second and third book as well.  I identified with the main character, I wanted to be like her, I loved world it was set in and the way magic works in that universe.  This is one of the few books I am protective of, the way Lord of the Rings and Outlander fans were concerned about their books being turned into a movie or TV show - I would love a Sabriel movie, but I would be so scared that it would be done wrong.  I can't wait until my Boyfriend's niece is old enough for me to recommend it to her.  I used to reread it once a year, but thanks to grad school and using my free time to get through new-to-me series like A Song of Ice and Fire and Outlander, I haven't read it in probably five years.  /sadface!!!

But as I was looking at Garth Nix's website and the Clariel release date, I realized that Sabriel should be my next cosplay.  I was leaning towards Bitch Pudding, since it would be fairly cheap and simple to make (tights, wig, cotton dress) but I think I would enjoy cosplaying as Sabriel more.

So that might be my next project!  I am very excited and will document my progress here like I did with Endor Leia.  I found an excellent cosplay on DeviantArt by Elentari-Liv, and the details on her costume are utterly amazing.  She hand embroidered the keys on her Abhorsen tunic.  BY HAND.  That, my dears, is dedication, and I can already say I do not have the patience to do something like that.  She won an award for it at CONvergence 2012, and rightly so.  I have a few ideas of my own for my cosplay, but I am so thankful that she posted such nice photos of her own costume to provide some inspiration - like the shape of the tunic, the size of her bandolier, etc.

Other costumes I am seriously considering are Bespin Leia, Sabine from Star Wars Rebels, and female Han Solo (ok, so I reeeeeeally like Star Wars... isn't it obvious from my online name?)  Bespin Leia and female Han would be easier and cheaper than a Mando or Sabriel, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment