Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Road to ComicCon! Endor Assault Leia, #5

Alright, I've been putting this off for as long as I can, but we're only a week away from Comic Con now and I couldn't avoid it any longer...

I finally started working on my pants and vest for my Endor Leia cosplay.

I also have a confession...

I have completely given up on having the blaster for Comic Con.  I just can't be bothered to put any more effort in it.  I'm not even going to cut off the handle and glue it into the holster.  But at least this way I don't have to waste time at weapons check.  Or bother with it in my checked luggage.

After the con I will still finish the blaster, because I have the materials and want that as part of my costume.  Only problem with not having it for the Con is how am I going to pose for my photos?  Time to re-watch RotJ for inspiration!

Now, for the trousers and vest:

I was putting this last (major) part of the costume off because I hate drafting patterns.  Specifically trousers.  Because I don't really have a background in fashion design or complicated costumery, I'm not going to go into details.  There are much better tutorials already available online than anything I could write.  Basically, I made my patterns and did mock-ups using muslin to make sure I wouldn't blow out the crotch when I sat down and had enough fabric to make the final pieces.

I was going to make the trousers out of some blue flannel I had in my craft room.  I wasn't sure I would have enough, and it turns out I didn't - it's a good thing I did the muslin mock-up first!  There were also weird things going on in the crotch area of my mock-up and I just couldn't be bothered to fix it.  But what would I use for trousers?

First, I thought to buy a pair of skinny jeans in a very light wash, but I didn't want to pay out $30+ for a pair of jeans I wouldn't really wear, especially after modding them for the costume.  After searching online for ideas, I thought to use a pair of scrub pants - they come in various shades of blue, I was guaranteed to find a size that fit, and I could alter the cuffs or waist to look more like the costume if I felt it needed that.

Yesterday I went out and bought the scrubs.  They fit well, and I think I'll only had to hem the cuffs a little to make them look less pajama-y.  I might add some elastic to keep them tucked into my boots.  For the gold stripe running down the outer leg seams, I used some yellow ribbon and iron-on tape instead of hand sewing each leg.

The vest is made out of some gray cotton I bought at JoAnn's.  I used the details on the vest to add darts where I needed them.  The bottom was hemmed once I knew how far I needed to tuck it into the waistband of the trousers.  The cap sleeves turned out better than I thought they would, but I wish I had used some interfacing - they're so floppy.

That's... pretty much all there is to say about that.  Time for pictures!





















Because I didn't have time to locate and break in the perfect pair of boots, and comfort is very important since I'll be on my feet all day at the Con, I'm just going to wear my black fUggs or my black leather lace-up boots with some insoles.

I also finished the belt.  I used some 2-inch wide black webbing from JoAnn's. Technically Leia's is green, but it's dark. My buckle is also not screen accurate, but I like it.  I just cut the webbing long enough to circle my waist with two extra inches on each end to sew around the buckle pieces.  Because the webbing was synthetic I was able to finish the ends of it by melting it with a lighter so they won't fray.

That means that all I have left to make are my belt pouches. Yay! I'm almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment