Friday, June 20, 2014

The Road to ComicCon! Endor Assault Leia, #3

The sun came out!

The last week has been very overcast, with forecasts of rain.  While we didn't get much rain, when it did it poured down.  This meant that, though I had bought the paint to finish my poncho, I couldn't work on that part of my cosplay.

Today we finally had some sun and the backyard was dry, so I dragged my poncho and spray paint outdoors.  Because I only had one shot to paint the actual poncho, I practiced on a piece of muslin to figure out my technique.



I used Rust-Oleum brand spray paint that I bought at Home Depot.  The colors I chose were limited by the store selection, but I think I did alright.

(I was hoping to buy Krylon, but my local Lowe's and Home Depot don't carry that brand.  The Krylon spray paint says it can be used on fabric projects - the Rust-Oleum one doesn't explicitly say it can, so I'm hoping it continues to look as good as it does right now.  I will update if the paint starts flaking off!)

The colors I used were:


Kona Brown - Gloss      Hunter Green - Gloss        Eden Green - Satin

My fabric was a khaki twill I bought using a coupon at JoAnn's.  At first I was concerned the colors wouldn't be bright enough on the khaki background, but once I got spraying I was pretty pleased with the result.  I wish I could have done this on a flatter surface, like a driveway, but you work with what you got.

And here is my (mostly) finished poncho:



I hadn't painted the hood yet in this shot, and then when I did paint the hood I got the paint all over my hands and couldn't take any photos!

I used Vera/Verdaera's photos of her Endor Leia costume, posted on her DeviantArt page and the Rebel Legion forum, as a guide.  Her costume is fantastic, and if you're a Star Wars fan you should definitely check out her other costumes - the Padme Episode II cut scene Senate dress is GORGEOUS!

I also watched the speeder bike chase in Return of the Jedi on repeat and tried to sketch out where I thought the colors went.  Unfortunately I didn't make my drawing to scale, so my actual poncho is a little off (some patches of color are bigger than they should be).  But I'm not trying to pass muster for the Rebel Legion with this costume, I'm just having fun!

Later tonight, once I am sure the paint is set, I will cut the belt slits on the front and Fray-Check the edges.  And then I can say that my poncho is officially DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment